Welcome to an in-depth exploration of Segway Ninebot’s world of e-scooters.
As a seasoned rider and a keen observer of the e-mobility landscape, I bring a wealth of knowledge gathered not only from hands-on experience with several Segway Ninebot models but also from extensive research, including numerous video reviews and technical analyses.
In this review, you’ll uncover detailed insights into the performance, design, and technological advancements of Segway Ninebot e-scooters.
My comprehensive perspective, rooted in personal experience and enriched by a broad study, positions this review as your go-to guide for understanding the nuances and capabilities of these cutting-edge e-scooters.
This review will offer you a unique blend of practical observations and expert analysis, ensuring you get the most authentic and informed perspective on Segway Ninebot’s offerings.
Electric Wheelers is reader-supported. Although we independently research and test products, we may receive a commission on purchases made from our chosen links. Read more…
- History of Segway
- Establishment of Ninebot
- Segway's complaint against Ninebot
- Ninebot acquires Segway
- Overview of Segway Ninebot Electric Scooters
- Where to Buy Segway Ninebot Electric Scooters?
- Final Words
History of Segway
The history of the Segway dates back to the late 1990s when the Segway Incorporation was founded by Dean Kamen. It was established in July 1999 with a vision of crafting non-medical applications for easy-to-handle self-balancing machines.
The idea of Segway hit its inventor Dean Kamen when he saw a man in a wheelchair trying to get over a sidewalk. Moved by this struggle, Dean and his team designed a self-balancing mobility device that allowed users to climb stairs and move over uneven surfaces.
The inspiration for the company’s name came from the word segue, meaning ‘to transition from one state to another smoothly’.
In December 2001, the Segway PT (Personal Transporter) was launched – a two-wheel transporter, with first deliveries to the brand’s customers in early 2002.
Establishment of Ninebot
Ninebot is a privately owned company with its headquarters in Beijing, China.
Ninebot Incorporation was established in 2012 by a group of robotic engineers looking to develop new technology. They focused on artificial intelligence and environmental protection.
Gradually, the engineers coupled up their autopilot and robot technologies to craft a new genre of self-balancing electric vehicles.
Ninebot Inc. branches were established in Hong Kong, Beijing, and Tianjin. Their expert teams constantly develop new means of efficient short-distance transportation.
Segway’s complaint against Ninebot
In the year 2014, Segway filed a trade complaint against several Chinese companies accusing them of violating its patents. Ninebot was one of the prime accused brands in the complaint.
Segway accused the transportation company of copying their designs and the two entered a copyright feud.
This created a large nationwide controversy that was termed by Segway as ‘copycat China’ and a widespread pattern of copyright infringement by China. Some found this feud to be an active step towards fighting the huge copycat problem in the industry and promoting innovation.
The products surely exhibited resemblance to one another, but Ninebot insisted that they independently owned their intellectual property.
Ninebot acquires Segway
In 2015, Ninebot announced the acquisition of Segway to put an end to the copyright feud, building their headquarters in Bedford, US.
The acquisition followed an $80 million investment from Chinese smartphone company Xiaomi, an investment company Sequoia Capital, and several other backers.
The merger came up with a vision that involves two electric scooter brands operating as separate brands with their products but uniting under an alliance to develop greener and smarter short-distance transportation scooters.
This marked the merger’s beginning of kick-scooter productions.
Overview of Segway Ninebot Electric Scooters
After delving into the interesting history of Segway Ninebot, it’s time to explore their impressive lineup of e-scooters.
Segway Ninebot’s range is extensive, catering to various needs and preferences. I’ve categorized their models into distinct groups to provide a clearer understanding, each representing a unique aspect of e-scooter innovation and design.
Entry-Level Scooters: Accessible Mobility for Everyday Use
The price range of these entry-level scooters is about $300-$500.
Here are some of the model names of Segway Ninebot electric scooters in the entry-level category:
- E2 Plus
- Affordability: These scooters are priced to make e-mobility accessible to a wider audience, providing a budget-friendly introduction to electric scooters. Typically, scooters in this category cost less than $500.
- Ease of Use: With user-friendly interfaces and straightforward controls, these models are ideal for beginners or those who prefer simplicity in their ride.
- Moderate Performance: In this category, scooters typically feature moderate power and speed, sufficient for navigating urban environments but not built for high-speed or high-performance demands. Most of these scooter have a top speed of around 12-15 mph.
- Limited Range: These models generally offer a range that suits short to medium distances, making them perfect for quick errands, short commutes, or leisurely rides around the neighborhood. In my experience, you will get around 10-14 miles of range on a single charge.
- Compact and Lightweight: Most of these scooters boast a lightweight and foldable design, making them easy to carry and store, especially appealing for those with limited storage space or the need to combine their scooter journey with public transport.
The entry-level Segway Ninebot scooters are best suited for:
- First-time e-scooter users seeking an easy introduction to electric mobility.
- Budget-conscious riders who need an affordable option for short daily commutes.
- Urban residents looking for a convenient, compact mode of transportation for navigating city streets and tight spaces.
Commuter Scooters: Blend of Performance and Comfort
Segway Ninebot mid-level scooters come in a price range of around $600 to $850.
Here are some of the model names of Segway Ninebot electric scooters in the commuter/mid-level category:
- F30, F35, and F40
- MAX G30LP
- Enhanced Performance: These scooters typically offer better speed, range, and power compared to entry-level models, making them suitable for longer commutes and more varied urban terrain. Scooters in this tier mostly speed up to 18 mph and provide a range of around 20-25 miles.
- Improved Comfort: With features like larger wheels and more robust frames, these scooters provide slightly smoother and more comfortable ride. However, these scooters don’t have a suspension system, so they are all meant for urban environments.
- Advanced Functionality: Models in this category often come equipped with additional functionalities such as improved braking systems, better battery life, and sometimes even smart connectivity features for enhanced user experience.
- Durability: Built to withstand more frequent use, these scooters often feature more durable materials and construction, ensuring longevity and reliability.
To have a better idea of the electric scooter in this category, take a look at my full review of Segway Ninebot F40, where I share my experience of the speed, range, ride comfort, and other aspects of the scooter.
Commuter/mid-level scooters from Segway Ninebot are particularly well-suited for:
- Regular commuters who travel moderate distances and require a reliable, comfortable scooter for daily use.
- Individuals seeking a more robust and feature-rich scooter experience without venturing into high-end, professional models.
- Urban riders who appreciate added comfort and performance for navigating through city streets, parks, and moderately rough terrain.
In the realm of high-end e-scooters, Segway Ninebot stands out with models that redefine performance and comfort. Scooters in this category are priced between $900 and $2000.
Here are some of the model names of Segway Ninebot electric scooters in the high-level category:
- F2 Pro
- Max G2
- Max G30P
- Superior Range and Speed: With an impressive range of 40-50 miles and speeds of 20-25 mph, these scooters are built for extensive travel and faster commutes, easily outpacing many other models in the market.
- Robust and Sophisticated Design: High-end scooters from Segway Ninebot showcase top-tier construction with premium materials, offering both durability and a sleek, modern aesthetic. However, the looks of these scooters are quite similar to Segway’s mid-level models.
- Advanced Features: Expect high-capacity batteries, efficient motors, and sophisticated user interfaces, along with enhanced safety features like superior braking systems and lighting.
- Comfort and Stability: These scooters provide a comfortable ride even over longer distances, thanks to their larger wheels and wider decks. However, most of the scooter in this category still doesn’t have suspensions, except the P100.
Special Mention: The P100
The P100 stands apart in this category with its double suspension system (wish-bone torsion), making it uniquely suited for off-road exploration as well as urban commuting.
This feature provides unmatched stability and comfort, even on rougher terrains, setting it apart from its peers focused on urban environments.
Additionally, the Segway Ninebot P100 has a much better range (up to 62 miles) and can ride faster than other scooters in the category (30 mph). Also, it means the price tag is also more expensive. The normal price is $1,999.
High-end scooters from Segway Ninebot cater to:
- Enthusiasts and professionals who require top-of-the-line performance and features for both long-range commuting and high-speed travel.
- Riders seeking a versatile scooter capable of handling both city streets and off-road adventures, particularly the P100 with its advanced suspension system.
- Those who prioritize quality, durability, and the latest in e-scooter technology for a premium riding experience.
Segway Ninebot Super Scooters (GT-Series)
It would be reasonable to think that you can’t go higher than the high-end category. In 2023, Segway Ninebot introduced Super Scooters GT1 and GT2. The first one is priced at $3,000 and the last one costs $4,000.
- Top Speed and Acceleration: GT1 reaches up to 37.3 mph with 0-30 mph in 7.5 seconds, while GT2 accelerates faster, reaching 43.5 mph with 0-30 mph in just 3.9 seconds.
- Range: GT1 offers a range of 43.5 miles, whereas GT2 extends this to 55.9 miles.
- Power: GT1 features a 3000W single rear-wheel motor, compared to GT2’s dual 3000W motors totaling 6000W for more power and torque.
- Suspension and Comfort: Both models have advanced front double wishbone and rear trailing arm suspension systems with adjustable hydraulic shocks.
- Display and Lighting: GT1 comes with a digital LED display, while GT2 boasts the world’s first transparent PM OLED display. Both have powerful 900 lumens LED lights.
- Frame and Tires: Each model uses a durable aircraft-grade aluminum alloy frame and is equipped with self-sealing tubeless tires for resilience and stability.
Differences Between GT1 and GT2
While both models are high-end, the GT2 stands out with its faster acceleration, higher top speed, longer range, and the inclusion of unique features like the transparent PM OLED display and BOOST Mode.
The GT2 is geared more towards speed and tech enthusiasts, while the GT1 focuses on a balance of high performance and versatility.
- Performance Enthusiasts: Riders who prioritize top-tier speed, range, and performance in their scooters.
- Technology Aficionados: Those who appreciate cutting-edge technological advancements in their ride, such as the GT2’s unique display and dynamic traction control.
- Long-Distance Commuters and Adventure Seekers: The extended range and robust build make these scooters ideal for long urban commutes and adventurous rides.
Segway Kids eScooters
Segway Ninebot Kids scooters come in a price range of $200-$300. The category basically consists of a Zing series and a couple of scooters from the C-series.
Overview of Segway Ninebot Zing Series
The Zing series by Ninebot is exclusively crafted for kids with a focus on bringing a highly enjoyable and comfortable riding experience coupled with great safety.
The series has several models:
- Zing E8
- Zing E10
- Zing E12
- Zing C8
- Zing C9
- Zing C10
Each model is marked by a few unique features while offering great similarities at the same time.
Zing E-series scooters come with a spring shock absorption system that is very effective in absorbing the bumps from grass, sand, and dirt roads.
The high elastic rubber tires allow the kid to have a smooth ride. The silicone footpad with amazing anti-skid properties is not only very stable but also easy to clean.
The TPR handle grips offer anti-skid traction and provide a firm grip. The thumb throttle with moderate resistance lets the rider control the driving speed with ease.
You can switch between 3 riding modes, including sports, cruise, and safety with a one-click switch.
The Zing E8 is perfect for kids between 6-10 years of age and is ideal for absolute beginners. It comes with a top speed of 8.6 mph and is available in 2 stunning colors. This ensures an exciting ride for younger riders.
The Zing E10 is quite similar to the E8 but designed for slightly older kids. It can support a weight of 132 lbs. E10 has a top speed of 10 mph, which gets the adrenaline flowing for young riders who seek more from their electric scooter.
The Zing E12 comes with added power reaching a top speed of up to 11.2 mph. It also features top-quality construction as others by Segway Ninebot. Perfect for the early teens who are looking for a fun-loaded ride.
The Zing C-series scooters are very similar to the Zing E-series. The most notable difference is that scooters from the Zing C-series are slightly faster. But they don’t have spring suspension like the Zing E-series scooters.
Where to Buy Segway Ninebot Electric Scooters?
Segway Ninebot scooters can be conveniently purchased from their official online store, which offers the latest models, detailed specifications, and customer support directly from the manufacturer.
Additionally, for a broader range of options and potentially competitive prices, Amazon’s Segway Store is another excellent choice. It provides customer reviews and often includes special deals or promotions.
Both platforms ensure a reliable purchase experience, catering to the different preferences and needs of customers.
In conclusion, Segway Ninebot’s diverse range of electric scooters, from the accessible entry-level models to the cutting-edge Super Scooters, offers something for every rider.
Whether you’re a daily commuter, a weekend adventurer, or a technology enthusiast, Segway provides a blend of quality, innovation, and performance.
As the world of urban mobility continues to evolve, Segway Ninebot remains at the forefront, consistently pushing the boundaries of what’s possible in electric scooter technology.
The founder and the editor-in-chief of the Electric Wheelers blog. With a previous background in IT, sales, and video editing, he has now established himself as a micromobility expert.
He bought his first e-scooter over 5 years ago and since then has owned dozens of e-scooters and e-bikes. His deep understanding of the technical aspects, coupled with a keen eye for market trends, enables him to provide insightful and reliable content.
His commitment to promoting sustainable and efficient urban mobility solutions has made him a respected voice in the community of eco-friendly transportation enthusiasts.